Podcasts – A Few of Our Favourites!
There are so many podcasts out there these days, it can be difficult to find the right one for the moment. Podcasts are fantastic to pass the time while commuting, waiting for appointments, to relax with on vacations, and to enjoy while cooking. Simply put, podcasts go where you go. You can stream podcasts, or download them to your device. Even though books are often still our go to when seeking knowledge, there is a wealth of knowledge out there on Podcasts as well. Podcasts are a great resource for yogis, athletes, spiritual seekers, business, and more.
Bonus: Podcasts are free!
With all this in mind, Halifax Yoga has asked a few of our instructors to share their favourite podcasts with you.
Holly our fantastic yoga and RealRyder instructor teaches in the evenings throughout the week. Holly’s favourite podcasts are:
- Hay House World Summit – The Hay House World Summit gives you powerful lessons focused on the newest in health, wellness, spirituality, and relationships.
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations – Awaken, discover and connect to the deeper meaning of the world around you with SuperSoul. Hear Oprah’s personal selection of her interviews with thought-leaders, best-selling authors, spiritual luminaries, as well as health and wellness experts. All designed to light you up, guide you through life’s big questions and help bring you one step closer to your best self.
- Tony Robbins podcast – Tony Robbins’ podcasts tackle the subjects you’ve come to associate with Tony Robbins and his team, but deliver the information in succinct auditory episodes that make for easy listening. By listening to the multitude of available Tony Robbins’ podcasts, you can uncover how to become an exceptional leader, nurturing partner and how to let go of the issues that may or may not be holding you back.
- Joel Osteen Ministries Podcast – Joel Osteen Ministries Podcast is a free ministry resource. Each week you can download the 30 minute message in audio or video
- Audio Dharma – This site is an archive of Dharma talks given by Gil Fronsdal, Andrea Fella and various guest speakers at the Insight Meditation Center in Redwood City, CA. Each talk illuminates aspects of the Buddha’s teachings. The purpose is the same that the Buddha had for his teachings, to guide us toward the end of suffering and the attainment of freedom.
Alix is our rock star Realryder instructor who teaches Monday mornings at 6am. Alix’s favourites are Canadian Podcasts:
- Missing and Murdered:Finding Cleo – Where is Cleo? Taken by child welfare workers in the 1970’s and adopted in the U.S., the young Cree girl’s family says she was stolen, raped and murdered while trying to hitchhike back home to Saskatchewan. Host Connie Walker joins their search.
- Somebody Knows Something – Wayne Greavette was killed by a bomb mailed to his home. In Season 4 of Someone Knows Something, Greavette’s wife, son and daughter join host David Ridgen to find out who might have sent it, and why.
Laura our awesome studio manager and yoga instructor Mondays and Fridays at 9am. She enjoys the following amazing podcasts:
- Brene Brown!!! – Brene Brown has one of the most watched TED talks of all time. She is a three-time #1 NYT bestselling author. She has changed the face of emotional intelligence, relationships, and self-acceptance for millions of people. But her area of expertise is one that not many people are willing to talk about — shame and vulnerability. You can find Brene Brown on many other podcasts, just search for her where get your favourite podcast.
- Gretchen Rubin -Gretchen Rubin is HAPPIER, and she wants you to be happier too. The #1 bestselling author of The Happiness Project and Better Than Before gets more personal than ever as she brings her practical, manageable advice about happiness and good habits to this lively, thought-provoking podcast. Gretchen’s cohost and guinea pig is her younger sister, Elizabeth Craft, a TV writer and producer living in Los Angeles, who (lovingly) refers to Gretchen as her happiness bully. Part of the Panoply Network.
- 8 Rules to Happiness – This one is a video, however it is so juicy we had to share it here. Oprah and Gretchen Rubin sit down and talk about the 8 rules to happiness.
- Fulfilling your Soul’s Purpose – How do you find your purpose? Jack Canfield is co-creator of the worldwide phenomenon “Chicken Soup for the Soul” book series, which has sold more than 110 million copies and been translated into more than 43 languages. Based on the lessons in his New York Times bestseller “The Success Principles,” Jack explains how to align our vision and goals with the fulfillment of our purpose. “Everyone has a purpose on this planet,” Jack explains. “The key is figuring out what you really want, deep inside, by listening to your internal GPS.”
Sherry our resident Kundalini expert, yoga instructor, RealRyder instructor, mentor extraordinaire and studio owner enjoys podcasts during her commutes:
- The One Thing – Discover the surprisingly simple truth behind extraordinary results. Learn how the most successful people in the world approach productivity, time management, business, health and habits with the ONE thing.
- All Rise Up – This podcast has been created to duplicate the powerful and simple lessons we teach to help you rock your doTERRA network marketing business. Created by doTERRA Leader and Entrepreneur, Alice Nicholls from The Whole Daily, this podcast shares the recordings that coach her own Leadership team so that you too can excel in building your long-term residual income with doTERRA, and so that you and your teams can ALL RISE UP.
- Ted talks Daily – Want TED Talks on the go? Every weekday, this feed brings you our latest talks in audio format. Hear thought-provoking ideas on every subject imaginable — from Artificial Intelligence to Zoology, and everything in between — given by the world’s leading thinkers and doers.
- The School of Greatness – Since its launch in January 2013, the School of Greatness podcast has grown rapidly to be one of the top-ranked Business and Self-Development podcasts in iTunes. It regularly appears in the Top 50 of all iTunes podcasts, and gets downloaded over 2 million times per month. Episodes range from interviews with incredible world-class game changers in entrepreneurship, health, athletics, mindset, and relationships, to solo rounds with the host, Lewis Howes (me!), and the once a week listener-favorite, the 5 Minute Friday format.
- The Action Catalyst – The Action Catalyst is a weekly podcast hosted by Co-founder of Southwestern Consulting™ and New York Times bestselling author, Rory Vaden. The show shares “insights and inspiration to help you take action”™. Each week, Rory shares ideas on how to increase your self-discipline and make better use of your time.
- John Maxwell – John Calvin Maxwell is an American author, speaker, and pastor who has written many books, primarily focusing on leadership.
- Minutes to Motivated – Seasoned Sales Expert & Success Strategist, Tiffany Peterson, shares proven principles, ideas, and inspiration to support you and your teams in the creation of a positive mindset, success habits, and sales strategies to grow yourself and your business.
- HolFit Talks, from the heart – Weekly conversations about living, loving + leading a supernatural life with Ange Peters. The Founder of HOL:FIT, Health + Biz Truth Teller and Wellness Leader for humans seeking to come home to wholeness.
Lastly, Raechelle, our amazing assistant studio manager and yoga teacher in training listens to podcasts while prepping meals and driving:
- Sword and Scale – Sword and Scale is an internet radio show and website covering the dark underworld of crime and the criminal justice system’s response to it. The show feature stories of murder, abduction, rape and even more bizarre forms of crime. It’s the purest form of true-crime where nothing is off the table. Definitely not for all listeners.
- Parenting Great Kids – Parents are trying to navigate children through a world they themselves don’t often understand. America’s Mom, Dr. Meg Meeker, the country’s trusted authority on parenting, teens, & children’s health, offers practical insights to help parents simplify. The pediatrician, mother, & best selling author engages with experts & parents to take on relevant issues, answer real questions, & provide simple hope & encouragement to every parent.
- The Tim Ferriss Show – Tim Ferriss is a self-experimenter and bestselling author, best known for The 4-Hour Workweek, which has been translated into 40+ languages. Newsweek calls him “the world’s best human guinea pig,” and The New York Times calls him “a cross between Jack Welch and a Buddhist monk.” In this show, he deconstructs world-class performers from eclectic areas (investing, chess, pro sports, etc.), digging deep to find the tools, tactics, and tricks that listeners can use.
- Hale Pule – Hale Pule offers practical Ayurveda and Yoga information and tips for everyday life. During each session, Myra Lewin answers your questions received through Facebook and Twitter. Myra is an Ayurveda practitioner and Educator and an International teacher trainer. She is the founder of Hale Pule, a registered school of Ayurveda and Yoga located in Kauai, Hawaii. Myra and her team offer the ancient wisdom of Ayurveda and Yoga in a manner accessible to all. Discussions include Ayurvedic recipes and remedies, Yoga meditations and many home practices. Submit your questions through Facebook and Twitter using hashtag #askhalepule.
- Wanderlust Speakeasy – The Wanderlust Speakeasy podcast brings our live lecture series straight to your ears. Immerse yourself in the inspiring ideas of Wanderlust’s acclaimed presenters, including prominent yoga teachers, wellness leaders, authors, musicians, and more.
- Deadly Manners – Deadly Manners is a 10 episode, dark comedy murder-mystery series set in the winter of 1954. It follows the events during the night of the affluent Billings family annual dinner party with their distinguished, eccentric guests. However, all is not fun and games as shortly after the party starts, a snowstorm begins to rage outside, trapping all the partygoers inside their host’s mansion. When a murderer starts killing off those in attendance, the guests must figure out who is responsible, or at least how to stay alive — lest they be next. Deadly Manners was created by Ali Garfinkel and Alex Aldea. Deadly Manners stars Kristen Bell, Denis O’Hare, Alisha Boe, RuPaul, Anna Chlumsky, Timothy Simons, Michelle Visage, Alona Tal, David Cummings and is narrated by LeVar Burton. Artwork by Kina Lee.
- Brains On – Brains On!® is a science podcast for curious kids and adults from American Public Media. Co-hosted each week by kid scientists and reporters from public radio, we ask questions ranging from the science behind sneezing to how to translate the purr of cats, and go wherever the answers take us. @Brains_On
Are you a podcast listener? What Podcasts do you enjoy? Please share on our social media!