Meet Kara our new Massage Therapist
We are very excited to introduce you to our latest member of our wellness team at Halifax Yoga, Kara Boutillier. Now that Kara is settled in, I had the opportunity to interview her to share on the Halifax Yoga Blog.
How did you become interested in the field of massage?
- I was interested in massage therapy since I was in high school. At the time my parents pointed me towards university. While attending university, I was interested in anatomy. I earned a Bachelor or Arts Psychology and really enjoyed the work. However it wasn’t long until I discovered that desk work was not for me. At that time I decided to pursue massage therapy.
What are the benefits of therapeutic massage work?
- There are many benefits to therapeutic massage, depending on why the person is seeking treatment. For example, therapeutic massage is beneficial for pain relief, relaxation, overall health, emotional releases – through talking and helping with depression.
Who are the biggest inspirations for your career?
- My daughter is a biggest inspiration, physically & emotionally, I want to live a better life for her. My fiance also pushes me to be better and is my biggest fan.
Describe a typical day of work for you. On a basic level, what skills does your job demand?
- On a typical day, my whole demeanor is pleasant upbeat friendly. When clients come in I asses the person find out what is going on, if they have had previous injuries as well as comfort level for pressure. My ultimate goal is to make sure people are comfortable. Communication is a big part of my day, striking the right balance of chatting and allowing the clients to relax and enjoy the treatment. Lastly, I go over home-care, recommending tools then book them back in to continue care.
What do you enjoy most your role in patient care?
- I love learning about everyone, and hearing everyone’s story. They come in as strangers, then you build relationships with your clients. They come in in pain then leave in less or no pain and that is very rewarding.
What are some of your personal and/or professional goals for the future?
Professionally I would like to keep expanding my education in massage by taking more courses of different focus that will allow me to be versed in a number of different techniques.
I would like to personally get more involved in practicing yoga to help improve my physical and mental health as well as passing it along to my clients as part of their home care.
What’s your favorite part of being in practice?
- The most fulfilling part of my practice is being able to help someone who comes into my treatment room in pain or discomfort as a stranger, to getting to know them, building a relationship and having them leave feeling relaxed and comfortable.
Would you like to share anything else?
- I am originally from Cape Breton. Mom of 1.5 year old Scarlett. I am a huge dog lover who owns 2 dogs. I love the outdoors. Lastly, I am a very chatty and social person .
We encourage our community to book a massage with Kara and get to know this fabulous addition to our wellness team. To book your appointment click here.
Be sure to check us out on Facebook and Instagram for daily inspiration. Namaste.
About Raechelle Masuda
Yoga has become an important part of Raechelle’s life, and her practice has helped her grow stronger, more flexible and fearless, both on and off the mat. Raechelle is passionate about her family, writing, being active, reading and adventure. She started out part of Halifax Yoga’s Energy Exchange, then joined HY’s Yoga Teacher Training in the Fall of 2017. She is now the assistant manager at Halifax Yoga and is excited to share her passions and inspirations.
Still Your Mind.